Saturday, April 16, 2011

Another Mycological Society outing

 Nothing edible seemed to be out in the area we were searching but it was still fun to get out and poke around in the woods.


After doing a bit of research I have come to the conclusion that the fungi above are golden jelly cones.  They tend to come out right after the snow has melted and may indicate that it is unusually cold this year.  I believe the mushroom below to be a common laccaria.  They are common in bogs and under/on fallen trees.  My book says that they last through the winter in California so they seem more cold tolerant than other mushrooms.  Apparently they are edible but I was not confident enough in my identification to actually try one.





A cinema landmark happened to be on the roadside we were searching, scenes from Harry and the Hendersons were shot here.  I will have to rewatch the movie and try to identify the scenes shot at this particular location.  





2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to do this! Forage for mushrooms, not see the film site ;-)

    Actually, I remember that movie well. I have an uncle who kinda looks like Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ciao ! it looks beautififul bur very humid !!!

    ReplyDelete